Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Paraben-free is the way to be

There they were, buried deep in the hallway closet, another remnant of my I-can't-stop-buying-another-facial-cleansing-product past. For some reason, I thought the No.7 Beautifully Balanced Purifying Cleanser would be a miracle. That I would have less blemishes, that I would have clearer skin, that I would look, well, refreshed, as the product suggests. I used all of one ounce of the randomly sized 6.6 ounce product to learn that it wasn't going to be the miracle product I had built it up to be in my mind. Now that I look at the ingredients, I see that both the toner and the cleanser contain five different parabens individually. I didn't even know there were that many parabens! I even see what I never see - that one of the parabens is listed way up on the ingredient list, which is really uncommon as a paraben, in any form, seems to a last ditch filler/preservative as it appears the end of nearly all ingredient lists. Parabens have been linked to breast cancer, and my life is just too short to deal with any risk of breast cancer. And yes, there is debate on both sides - that parabens do cause breast cancer and that they don't - but any nod to causing breast cancer is reason enough for me to not use products with parabens. Thus, this eighty-six is to the point and the case is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment