Saturday, January 1, 2011

A resolution to live by

My mother and I went to breakfast the day after Christmas (2010). I was ordering the unhealthy veggie skillet - which is usually served with potatoes fried with onions and green peppers, topped with two eggs your way, and smothered with shredded cheese - when the idea of this blog came to me. After ordering the dish, I asked the server to "eight-six the green peppers." While I've seen lots of servers write "86" down on their tickets to mean "take this out of the dish," and I've seen it myself when I worked briefly as a cook at a restaurant, I had never really thought about the term the way I was right at that moment. I was thinking that "86" should apply to my cluttered life. I mean, I have so much junk I don't have space for it. Then, I buy more junk to sit with my junk. This isn't to say I'm a hoarder - as I'm definitely not - but there has to be somewhere this junk can go besides my home. Thus, "Eighty-six It" was born.  It will be fulfilling to write in this blog every day for many reasons, but mostly for these two: I will be forced to get rid of something each day and I must write every day. As today is January 1, 2011, there is no time to spare and something must be eighty-sixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment